If at first you don’t succeed, try again. At least that’s what I’m doing with my seedlings. My first batch started out great, but then they got fungi. I tried to treat them by providing more air circulation and later a spritz of hydrogen peroxide. But it was too little too late.
Eventually, only two seedings continued to grow. At first, I thought I’d try to support them. Then I realized that a weak seedling will not produce a strong plant that can withstand the outside fluctuations in temperature and rainfall. So I had to let them go.
I was surprised how sad the whole experience was. I am new to gardening, and last year my seedlings grew effortlessly. But it’s all part of the hobby of growing living things.
So I have a new crop of seeds planted in my mini greenhouse on top of the fridge. Hopefully, they will be sprouting in a week or two. This time I’ll know to remove the dome lid as soon as they sprout, so fungi have no chance to take hold.
Also, I bought a lighting system. This winter has been so gray that it’s tough for the sprouted seedings to get enough light. My basil is still thriving in the downstairs powder room window (East side of the house). But I know they would grow more vigorously if they had more light.
The lighting frame came in the mail yesterday, but I am still waiting for the bulb. I hope it will come soon, so I can get my basil revved up and be ready for my new babies sprouting.
All of this meant I had to change my garden plan a bit because I ran out of some seeds. The new one is above with my updated spreadsheet below.
— Gina Chen